Check your new home contract carefully -Don't get caught out!
- Check your inclusion specification carefully that everything you want in your new home build is written down in there. Simply if it is not written down in your contract it means it is not going to be included. If you made a verbal agreement with your builder it must be written in your contract.
- Check that any agreements that you have with the salesperson are also written within the building contract.
- Try to avoid changes after contract signing. Changes after signing are usually costly, time consuming and increase the chances of mistakes.
Overall, make sure to understand at least the following sections of the contract:
- The contract sum - is it all correct?
- Timeline and the construction stages
- Progress payments
- Termite treatment conditions
- Documents priority list
- Variation Order
- Maintenance Defect Liability Period
Lastly, it sounds obvious but always keep a copy of the contract handy to refer to throughout your build.
Written By Samara Amadi
With contributions from Yovita Kwok, www.yovi.com.au